C is a general-purpose, procedural, imperative computer programming language developed at AT & T’s Bell Laboratories of USA in 1972. It was designed and written by a man named Dennis Ritchie. C programming is considered as the base for other programming languages, therefore it is known as the mother language. Possibly why C seems so popular is because it is reliable, simple, and easy to use.
Why learn C?
This is one of the most frequent query of young coders, that is why C and not any other language. There are several reasons for it :
- It is believed that one cannot directly learn C++ or Java, therefore, we need to have a basic understanding of the elements of programming(C is easy to learn).
- Major parts of popular operating systems like Windows, UNIX, Linux are still written in C.
- Even today when it comes to performance nothing beats C.
- It can handle low-level activities.
Key points :
- C language is case-sensitive in nature.
- It is a compiled language (meaning: a programming language whose implementations are typically compilers )
- It supports the feature of both low-level and high-level language, therefore considered a middle-level language .
- C Compiler is platform-dependent.
- It is known as a mother language because most of the compilers and JVMs are written in C language.
- “?:” is the only ternary operator in C language.
- “sizeof” is the only operator which is also a keyword.
- C provides constructs that map efficiently to typical machine instructions.
A C program can vary from 3 lines to millions of lines and its file extension is “.c”; for example, program1.c. You can use “vi”, “vim” or any other text editor to write your C program into a file
If you like my post please follow me to read my latest post on programming and technology.
Staying up to the mark is what defines me. Hi all! I’m Rabecca Fatima a keen learner, great enthusiast, ready to take new challenges as stepping stones towards flying colors.